I like to share fun facts from the places I’ve visited, but I’ve been to Nags Head every summer that I can remember so I don’t always pick up facts. I more or less just attach myself onto something cool and wait for food to be ready to eat. However this year I did learn a thing or two.
Now, for OBX fun facts:
1. Chris Elliot (“Get A Life,” cameo on every sitcom ever, Letterman staple) was once in the cast of “The Lost Colony” (long-running outdoor drama about the first colony in America’s disappearance). So was Carl Kasell (from NPR) and Andy Griffith. I remember “The Lost Colony” being sort of boring but my associate and I are coming up with the movie adaptation that tells what really happened to the Lost Colony. I won’t reprint any of our brilliant ideas because you will steal them.
2. I actually forgot everything else I learned. Something about oyster shells being used as barrier reefs.
3. Me telling Dad about the Chris Elliot news.
Me: Guess who was in “Lost Colony?”
Dad: Uh . . .
Me: He’s one of your favorite people.
Dad: Er . . .
Me: Chris Elliot.
Dad: I was going to say that because you said one of my favorite people.
4. After trying to impress Richard with my limited knowledge of birds, it turns out this little bastard isn’t called anything fancy but is a red winged black bird.
I thought it was called a scarlet tanager or a crimson fannipak. I’m not so good with bird names (though I have successfully gotten my mother to use “sparkling crappy” instead of grackle). We didn’t take this picture.
5. Hush puppies are delicious.